Thursday, January 28, 2010

Blog regarding Lines Written in Early Spring

“In that sweet mood when pleasant thoughts
Bring sad thoughts to the mind (Wordsworth 72).”
Font size
I choose to discuss the above quote because I feel this quote really foreshadows the entire poem. I find Wordsworth was speaking of being in a mood such that he felt in touch with the beauty of nature. I want to specifically focus on the portion, “…when pleasant thoughts bring sad thoughts… (Wordsworth 72).” I believe there are times when people feel calm and peaceful and although pleasant, being in that state of deep emotion can bring about sad thoughts. When I say deep emotion I’m speaking of being in a state of deep connectedness to nature. Feelings and thoughts of love, happiness, heartbreak, and sadness while in contrast to each other, run so deep and close together and are linked with the earth, in my mind. Later in the poem, he wrote that his soul was linked to a women and his heart grieved over what one man could do to another. He went on to write about flowers and birds playing. It seems clear to me that Wordsworth foreshadowed these items when he wrote of pleasant thoughts bringing sad thoughts. Upon reading the words “sad thoughts” I immediately felt a sense of heartbreak.

No comments:

Post a Comment