Thursday, February 25, 2010


I would like to focus on the word “Powers” and what I took that to mean. I find William was speaking of the Gods or what some might call today a “universal mind” when he used the word powers. I find this to be the case because in the stanza prior to this William wrote about our humanness. He spoke of our eyes that have no choice but to see, ears that cannot silence themselves and bodies that do what they want regardless of whether the “I” in our minds is for or against it. This clearly portrays our lack of control as humans. The next stanza starts with, “…I deem that there are powers Which of themselves our mind impress (Wordsworth 103). In my opinion, these two lines translate to, I believe there are Gods or there is a “universal mind” which our human minds can impress themselves upon. The rest of the stanza said that we could passively feed our minds and that doing this would be the wise thing to do. This to me states that we could mentally tap into the Gods or a “universal mind” in order to gain wisdom. Thus, we went from humanness to being able to passively tap into the Gods. I believe that is why he dreams his time away. William having access to the Gods is nice shift away from how alone Simon Lee was said to be.

1 comment:

  1. This is really good! You go right to the difficult philosophical implications and, for the most part, you explain them clearly. (There are one or two places where it's not quite as clear.) Why does WW say "powers" instead of "gods"? what's the effect of using that specific word? You might have spent a little time (maybe after a trip to the OED) dealing with that.

    ReplyDelete